At Hartford Primary School, we aim to provide a high-quality physical education curriculum which inspires all pupils to succeed in competitive sport and other physically-demanding activities. We ensure that every child gets their entitlement of two 1 hour PE lessons per week.
Key Stage 1
All KS1 children will be taught to:
- master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities
- participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- perform dances using simple movement patterns.
Key Stage 2
All KS2 children will be taught to:
- use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- play competitive games, modified where appropriate [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis], and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance [for example, through athletics and gymnastics]
- perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
In addition to our PE lessons, the children take part in 5-a-day fitness, Go Noodle, Golden Mile and Maths of the Day.
Throughout the year, the children have the opportunity to compete in intra-sports competitions. These are run by our School Sports Organising crew and take place during lunch times. All children are given a chance to suggest which sports they would like to do during lunch times. Children also get the opportunity to compete in inter-sports competitions including football, gymnastics, tennis and cricket.
We offer a wide variety of after school clubs to children from Year 1 – Year 6. Some of these are run by our teachers such as netball, football, cricket and table tennis. We also have clubs run by external providers such as Fencing, Judo, Dance and Musical Theatre. As a school, we have a strong link with various community teams who come in and do taster sessions to inspire pupils to join their club.