Year 6 Home Working Resources
Dear Year 6 parents and carers,
We have compiled some resources and ideas for you to use with your children while the school is closed. These are hopefully all things you can access easily at home and we have tried to ensure they are as fun and interactive as possible! Thank you for your ongoing support in this uncertain time.
Below is a list of activities and resources for each subject. It is our recommendation that your child completes one activity for each core subject per day (maths, writing, reading), as well as one other activity from a foundation subject. Mymaths and Spag.com homework tasks will also be set weekly. We appreciate that this list is extensive; the intention is that you have enough resources here to keep your child busy for the foreseeable future.
Some of the resources we have collected are on the Twinkl website. Twinkl are offering free access for parents and carers. To sign up for the free offer, click on the link below:
Then sign up and enter the code CVDTWINKLHELPS
Once signed in, you should then be able to access any Twinkl links in our lists below.
- We have uploaded a document titled ‘First 4 Maths Activities’ which has a selection of activities to choose from.
- We have uploaded three ‘Maths Code Crackers’ activities. One for decimals, one for percentages and one for algebra.
- Twinkl have a spring-themed maths activity booklet, which can be downloaded for free:
We have uploaded a document titled ‘Correcting Maths Mistakes Activity’ for your child to have a go at.
- Twinkl have a range of arithmetic tests to have a go at:
We have uploaded a document titled ‘Classroom Secrets Maths Activities’ which has a selection of activities to choose from.
- We have uploaded a document titled ‘PlanBee Maths Activities’ which has a selection of activities to choose from.
- We have uploaded a document titled 'Maths investigations'.
- Children can also continue to use the Times Table Rockstars website to revise their times tables and a document titled 'Times table pack'.
- Visit https://www.deepeningunderstanding.co.uk/product/yr4-maths-home-learning-tasks-set-1/?fbclid=IwAR33nQzxd459b5QX50B-hqsyhKt5VWxr6BzuVJu5euOy1VmKQA7o1jJbKvI regulalry for maths home learning tasks that can be downloaded
- Visit the White Rose Maths Hub link regularly to find 5 lesson presentations with an activity that can be downloaded with answers for each https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-6/. These presentations and activities are updated weekly.
There is also a maths revision booklet, which can be referred to for support if needed:
Writing topics and skills already covered in year 6:
Autumn 1 – Flashback Narrative:
- Cohesive devices
- Inverted commas to punctuate direct speech
- Expanded noun phrases
- Passive verbs
- Manipulating structure by using a flashback
Autumn 2 – Information booklet:
- Expanded noun phrases to convey complicated information concisely
- Use of modal verbs and adverbs
- Use of brackets, dashes and commas to indicate parenthesis
- Use concise word choices
- Clarify technical vocabulary
- Cohesive devices
- Summarising statement
Spring 1 – Classic Narrative:
- Distinguish between language of speech and writing
- Use of subjunctive form
- Use of passive verbs
- Use semi-colons to mark boundaries between independent clauses
- Use archaic language
- Use dialogue to explain the plot, reveal new information, show character or relationships or to convey mood
Ideas for home learning:
We were planning to do some writing relating to our Conway visit next, using as many skills as possible from the lists above. Here are some ideas your child could have a go at:
- Write a letter to Miss Fairweather persuading her to book Conway for next year’s cohort.
- Write an information booklet about the Conway Centre for prospective visitors.
- Write a recount about their visit/their favourite day/favourite activity.
There are also a range of documents we have uploaded which your child could have a go at:
- We have uploaded a document titled ‘Creative Writing Prompts’ to inspire writing at home.
- We have uploaded a document titled ‘Literacy Company Writing Pack’ which has a range of writing tasks to have a go at.
- We have uploaded a document titled ‘PlanBee English Pack’ which has a range of activities.
- We have uploaded a document titled ‘Plazoom Grammar Learning Pack’ to revise a range of grammar topics.
- Visit https://www.literacyshedplus.com/en-gb/browse/free-resources to download their writing and reading activity packs connected to a range of topics and themes
- Please continue to read with your child as much as possible. This does not have to be only your child reading; you can also read stories to them and talk about them. When the children are reading, remember to focus on comprehension by asking questions about what they have read.
- We have uploaded a document titled ‘Reading Comprehension Activities’ with various tasks you can have a look at with your child.
- On the Twinkl website, if you search ‘SATs survival reading revision’, there are lots of different reading comprehension activities that your child can have a go at.
Spelling and Grammar
- Please find the year 5/6 spelling list
- There are also spelling tasks within the writing activities listed above.
- We have uploaded two documents to revising our Living Things topics. There is a document titled ‘Living Things Classifying Organisms’ and one titled ‘Living Things Jigsaw’.
- This term, we were due to begin our studying of evolution. Your child could research Charles Darwin and present their findings in the way they would prefer (PowerPoint, news report, poster, etc.)
- This term, we have been studying volcanoes and earthquakes. Your child could research how a volcano is formed and different types of volcanoes.
- Research the recent eruption of the Taal volcano in the Philippines. Your child could present a news report on this.
- Your child could then write an email to a school in the Philippines to explain how to stay safe before, during and after a volcanic eruption. This video can support this activity:
- There is a geography website called Oddizzi where children can find activities to do with volcanoes and earthquakes:
Username: Hartford Six
- We have uploaded 2 geography packs titled 'Oddizzi placs' and 'Oddizzi physical features'.
- We have been studying the printing technique and patterns of William Morris. Your child could take photos of any repeating patterns they see at home/in the garden and create a collage with these photos.
- Your child could research different styles of printing, including mono-printing, collagraph printing, polystyrene printing and lino printing.
- Your child could choose their favourite style of printing and have a go at creating their own repeating pattern wallpaper.
- We were due to start learning about Sikhism next. Your child could research and present key Sikh beliefs in whatever format they prefer.
- Your child could investigate who Guru Nanak is and how he became a teacher.
- Discover what the 5 Ks are.
- Investigate how Sikhs remember the birthday of Guru Nanak.
- We have uploaded six documents for RE, titled: RE Learning Jesus Journey, RE Spirited Arts, RE What is Judaism?, RE Marriage, RE Bar and Bat Mitzvah, RE Hindu Goddess, and RE Sikh Vaisakhi
- Children can use this website for coding activities. Under the ‘explore’ tab children can access tutorials:
- On the Espresso website there are coding activities:
The username is: student6721
Year 6 have been learning Spanish with Mrs Gatiss. Children can continue to log on to the https://www.duolingo.com/ website and app using their details, to learn and practise Spanish vocabulary and grammar, as well as have lots of fun!
- Twinkl have released a Year 6 home learning pack which you can download for free if this is of interest to you. It includes a range of activities for different subjects. The link is below:
- You can also log onto Espresso using the details above to access videos, quizzes, games and support in a range of subjects.
- We have downloaded a resource pack with a variety of activities connected to the weather titled 'The Weather - home learning pack'
- We have downloaded a document titled 'Easter extras'.
- We would also recommend that your child keeps active during their time at home. As well as utilising your outdoor space, Joe Wicks is hosting a live PE lesson every morning at 9am on his Youtube channel. These videos can also be accessed at any time. Please see the link below:
Thank you again for all your support. Have fun and stay healthy and we’ll hopefully see you all soon,
Mrs Wheeler, Mrs Yates and Mrs Cade